Last updated: 06/27/2018
We're excited for you to create your own version of the GitHub Octocat and to do that we've created an Octocat Generator for you to use to create your own Character. (Learn more about the project here!) There's a catch though -- by using the Octocat Generator, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions below as well as GitHub's general Terms of Service and GitHub's logo guidelines.
What exactly are the Terms? We're so glad you asked.
- You are agreeing to these terms as a condition of using the Octocat Generator. (We said that already but it's really important!)
- Your use of your Character must accurately show the way that you, your software, or your company engage with GitHub. This means you have to make sure that whoever sees your Character accurately understands your, your software’s, or your company’s relationship with GitHub.
Some clear “cant's”:
- You can’t use your Character as your own logo or as your own brand. Octocat represents GitHub, so you can only use it to reinforce GitHub’s own brand identity.
- You can’t use your Character in a way that describes or implies there is an endorsement, business relationship, partnership, joint venture, or any other affiliation between you, your software or your company and GitHub.
Here are a few ways you can use your Character:
- As your GitHub profile picture
- As a profile photo on a social network
- Shared across social media
Those are just some ideas, but we’re looking forward to seeing really creative ways that you’ll be using your Character. Our lawyers are really nervous about this, but we promised them it will all work out. They made us reserve the right to change the rules as we go along, once we see what wacky ways people will want to use their Character that we didn’t think of. But we made them promise that if they have to contact you to ask you to change something, they will be really nice about it.
You may not create any Character other than what the unmodified Octocat Generator permits. Plus, you agree not to create any Character except by using the Octocat Generator.
You agree not to use the Octocat Generator, its content, or your Character in any way that might reasonably disparage or harm the GitHub brand or goodwill.
You agree not to use any false, misleading, offensive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, harassing, illegal, or discriminatory content or content that violates the rights of any third party (e.g., privacy, publicity, intellectual property rights) with your Character.
You agree not to claim any rights over your Character. This means you won't seek trademark or copyright registration and you won't ever assert against GitHub - or anyone else - rights in or to your Character.
You are completely and exclusively responsible for any and all liability arising from your use of your Character and will defend, indemnify, and hold GitHub harmless from any and all claims arising from or related to this Agreement or the Character. GitHub does not provide any warranties or make any representations as to the Octocat Generator, its content, or your Character.
GitHub may revoke your license to use the Octocat Generator or your Character at any time, for any reason, or for no reason.